05 November 2008

Happy Guy Fawkes Night!

Remember, remember the Fifth of November,
The Gunpowder Treason and Plot,
I can think of no reason
Why the Gunpowder Treason
Should ever be forgot.
Guy Fawkes, Guy Fawkes, t'was his intent
To blow up the King and Parli'ment.
Three-score barrels of powder below
To prove old England's overthrow;
By God's providence he was catch'd
With a dark lantern and burning match.
Holloa boys, holloa boys, let the bells ring.
Holloa boys, holloa boys, God save the King!


So you ask, what the *&^% does that mean? Well, 1) if you're from Newfoundland, you should automatically know. 2) If you've travelled to Britain during the fall at any time in your life, you should already know.


For my woefully unknowing fans out there, let me give you a brief history lesson. I will try to make it as short as possible.

In 1605, a plot to blow up Parliament was discovered in England. The conspirators were a group of Catholic who were against Protestant King James I of England. The attack was meant to wipe out the entire protestant royal family during the State Opening on November 5, 1605. A tip-off lead authorities to the underground of Parliament on November 4th where they found Guy Fawkes and many, many barrels of gunpowder and other items to be used in the explosion. Interrogations led to the arrest of seven other men. Tried and found guilty, all men were hung, drawn and quartered.

This is now called "Guy Fawkes Night" in celebration of the event. Why do we celebrate it? I'm not entirely sure - what I do know is that it was once a very special day for all subjects of the United Kingdom and it's Dominions. Newfoundland did not join Canada until 1949, and the custom of lighting a bonfire on November 5th remains strong within the province today. I'm sure today it's just an excuse to light a big fire, drink some beer and maybe try your hand a little arson.



Since I can't go to Middle Cove beach tonight with my friends and have a bonfire, I am celebrating Guy Fawkes night on my blog, and I hope that everyone enjoys tonight!!

0 comments: